Header Ads

Looking back at my 2010 Predicitions

Last New Years Eve, I made 17 predictions for 2010, which you can revisit by clicking here. Some where far fetched, some came true rather quickly. Lets see how clear or cloudy my crystal ball was.

What I Got Right:
  • "I See a major executive change for ABC this year." - The resignation of Steve McPhereson was not exactly what I expected, but I did believe that something would shake the top of the Network.

  • "ABC, as they always do, will keep a show for the 2010 fall season that is not deserving." - This could be "correct" predicition could be subjective, but I believe V easily be called a undeserving series that was renewed. I doubt it will get that 3rd season.

  • "NBC will continue to be a 4th place network." - Not a big streatch, but with ABC... You never know. But if NBC didn't have Sunday Night Football, they could be battling The CW for the title of "5th Place."
  • "Either Jay Leno or Conan O'Brien will not have their current show by the end of the year." - This was resolved a lot quicker than I thought. The writing was on the wall and NBC was going to get rid of one of them. However, is seems that NBC is the best Late Night development studio for OTHER networks. Now, TBS is now a player in Late Night programming.

  • "The CW will have at least one week that it rates LOWER than ION." - Well, this ended up being a slam dunk. In January, 2010, ION posted its first weekly win against The CW. Then in the summer, ION consistently topped The CW in the ratings. I expect another week or two weekly wins for ION in December.

  • "Name and format change for a Cable Network." -  Discovery Kids became Th Hub.


What I Got Wrong:
  • "ABC will relaunch THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY." - I thought ABC would re-brand Saturday nights, after college football. They may still run Disney movies on the night, but not under the classic brand.

  • "CSI (The Original Series) will NOT be on at 9pm Thursdays come the Fall of 2010." - I thought the writing was on the wall for the 10 year old series, but it is still in Its time slot this season. My prediction may have been a year off.

  • "CBS will create at least 4th hour of comedies, on a 3rd night." - I thought for sure CBS would expand the amount of hours they would program comedies. But I think they ended up with the better schedule.

  • "CBS Corp will get a major cable network." - The CBS spending spree dried up with the economy. CBS Corp scaled down their acquisitions this year, there for no major cable entity purchase. Perhaps in 2011 or 2012.

  • "FOX will rate higher than 4th on Friday nights in the fall of 2010." - I consider this my worst prediction of 2010. Not only did FOX not challenge for 4th place, it dropped, rather easily, to 5th place, perhaps even lower. The Good Guys was a complete disaster. Mid-season could be promising, but I am not holding my breath.

  • "The CW will have an Ownership change by the end of the year." - I thought Time Warner would want full control of the network and would make a property swap deal with CBS for The CW. I thought this could have been a way for CBS to get a real presence in cable land.

  • "Dawn Ostroff will NOT be president of The CW." - Yes, I got this wrong, so far (5 weeks still left), but HOW can she still have her job? It baffles me.

  • "The New APPLE TV will launch in 2010 with at least 3 Broadcast Nets." - Apple failed to get their "Cable Alternative" off the ground, so now the APPLE TV is just a box that interfaces with existing feeds.

  • "My Network TV will have one night of original programming, outside of Fridays." - This is the #2 worse prediction I made. Not only did MyTV not program another night of original content, they gave up Smackdown and added a 5th night of reruns. However, they do decent in the ratings, when you compare to The CW to it.

The Gray Area:
  • "NBCU will eliminate at least one affiliate market and go straight to cable in that market." - The constant delays with acquisition did not allow an opportunity for Comcast to make its changes at NBCU. 



Next month, I will have my 2011 predictions. Hopefully I will be a little more successful, and reasonable, with those predictions. But, really... Dawn has got to be gone in 2011!

1 comment:

  1. (12/21/10) OK, I get a half point for today's announcement that Dawn Ostroff is Expected To Leave the CW At The End Of Season.

    Close enough for my prediction.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.